About the Writer-in-Residence Program
The Regina Public Library Writer-in-Residence program provides aspiring writers of all genres with the opportunity to receive guidance and advice from an established Canadian writer, while enabling the writer to devote 70% of his/her time to a specific writing project. Beginning in September 2015 and ending May 2016, the successful candidate will be available for consultation with individuals requiring assistance on personal writing projects and will plan public readings, literary activities, and programs that will focus on serving and supporting the amateur writing community in Regina.
The intent of the program is to:
- Encourage and inspire local writers to create works of their own;
- Work with a variety of age groups and backgrounds to assist writers in finding their own literary voice;
- Enable authors and others in the community to receive guidance and advice from an established writer; and
- Engage the Regina public in learning more about the process of writing, editing and/or publishing.
Planned Activities During Residency
The Writer-in-Residence will have approximately 70 per cent of his/her time to devote to his/her writing. The remaining 30 per cent is allocated to meet the public requirements of the position, which are:
- Read manuscripts and confer with Regina writers on their work. Previous writers have chosen to set aside one day each week to meet with writers. Because this is a public position, we do ask that the writer make some time available for consultation in the evening for people who work during the day.
- Make 10 school/community visits and one visit per branch to RPL branch libraries to talk about writing, read from his/her work, and/or discuss the work of the students themselves.
- Offer two free writing seminars or workshops.
- Provide two free public readings.
- In addition, the Writer-in-Residence may receive outside requests to do a number of other readings, workshops, school visits, conference appearances, etc., within Regina. The writer is free to organize and take part in these events at his/her discretion. However, the arrangements for remuneration (Saskatchewan Writers' Guild or other sources) are to be made independently by the writer.
Benefits to Author and Regina Community
- Aspiring writers in Regina can receive guidance and advice from an established Canadian writer, thus providing an enriching learning opportunity for the Regina community.
- The successful candidate will be able to devote 70 per cent of his/her time to specific writing projects, allowing him/her to contribute to Saskatchewan and Canada's literary growth.
- The program is an investment in the community at large, and will provide many benefits and networking opportunities to business, community organizations, schools and citizens of Regina.
- The Regina Public Library Writer-in-Residence Program has provided a vital service to the local community in the past. Through innovative programming and promotion, audience reach has extended to the general public and continues to generate new interest in the art of writing. Regina citizens have come to value the Writer-in-Residence as a source for their writing information.
Past Regina Public Library Writers-in-Residence
1978 Eli Mandel, poetry, Toronto, ON
1979 John Newlove, poetry, across Canada
1980 Andreas Schroeder, prose, Mission, BC
1981 Maria Campbell, prose, Edmonton, AB
1982 Janet Lunn, children's literature, Hillier, ON
1983 Sean Virgo, prose, Salt Spring Island, BC
1984 Lorna Crozier, poetry, Regina, SK
1985 Edna Alford, prose, Livelong, SK
1986 Sharon Pollock, playwright, Edmonton, AB
1987 Mary di Michele, poetry, Toronto, ON
1988 Kristjana Gunnars, poetry/prose, Iceland, Oregon, SK, MB, AB
1989 Wayne Johnston, prose, St. John's NFLD
1991 Celia Lottridge, children's literature, Toronto, ON
1992/93 John Sorrell, poetry/prose, Vancouver, BC, SK,
1994/95 Dianne Warren, fiction writer, Regina, SK
1996/97 Myrna Kostash, creative non-fiction, Edmonton, AB
1998/99 Tim Lilburn, poetry, Regina/Saskatoon, SK
2000 (Sept-Dec) Sandra Birdsell, fiction, Winnipeg, MB, Regina, SK
2001 (Jan-June) Ven Begamudré, fiction, speculative fiction, Regina, SK
2002/03 Alison Lohans, children's and young adult literature, Regina, SK
2005/06 Mansel Robinson, playwright and author, Saskatoon, SK
2007/08 Ibi Kaslik, Young Adult fiction
2009/10 Terry Jordan, fiction writer, essayist, dramatist, Saskatoon, SK
2011/12 Ed Willett, fiction and non-fiction author, Regina, SK
2013/14 Gail Bowen, fiction, Regina, SK
2014/15 Arthur Slade, children's and young adult literature, Saskatoon SK