Category: New Magazines
New PHR Magazine for February 19, 2016
Folklore: Saskatchewan's Yesterdays Personified, Winter 2015/2016
Please Note: All Magazines can be checked out for 7 days.
New PHR Magazines for February 5, 2016
National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volume 103, No. 4, December 2015
Please Note: All Magazines Can be Checked Out for 1 Week
New PHR Magazine for the week of January 25, 2015
Saskatchewan History, Volume 67, Number 2, Fall/Winter 2015
* "Nutana: The first neighborhood in Saskatoon" by Nathan Bartsch.
* "An Oversupply of Hope: One woman's reflections on the Great Depression" by Sandra Bassendowski.
* "The life and legacy of C.J. Houston, Medicare Pioneer" by C. Stuart Houston and Richard A. Rempel.
* "Mapping history: Lessons in history from Township Map of the Qu'Appelle Valley, Township 21, Range 13, West of the 2nd Meridian" by Christine Charmbury.
New PHR Magazines for the week of January 4, 2016
Family Tree Magazine Volume 16, Number 7, December 2015
* "Making the Cut (75 top state-focused websites for tracing your ancestors)" by Rick Crume.
* "Photo Rx (how to digitally fix common old-photo flaws)" by Janet Hovorka.
* "The Long Way Around (help to determine the difference between a brick wall and a detour in your research road and, if possible, navigate a new route to ancestor answers)" by David A. Fryxell.
* "Finding the Missing (many Jewish families had loved ones vanish in the Holocaust. Surviving records can help you discover the fates of the missing)" by Melody Amsel-Arieli.
* "Workbook: Special Censuses (e.g. Mortality schedules, Indian censuses, Agricultural schedules, Manufacturing and industry schedules, Slave schedules, Veterans schedules, Defective, dependent and delinquent schedule, Social statistics schedules)" by Sunny Jane Morton.
* * *
Folklore: Saskatchewan's Yestredays Personified), Volume 36, Number 4, Autumn 2015
* "The Asinskow Ithiniwok: The "Rocky Terrain People"" by John Merasty.
* "Swift Current: Frontier City" by Keith Foster.
* "The Legend of Marguerite (Trottier ca. 1789-1881)" by Jean-Louis Trudel.
* * *
Blue Jay Volume 73, Number 3, September 2015
* "Plants: Using Multiple Data Cources on Species Distribution for Biodiversity Assessment: The Prairie crocus (anemone Patens) as a Case Study" by Vladimir V. Kricsfalusy, Meng Li and Charu Gupta.
* "Birds: Avian Biodiversity in an Urban Park: Breeding Birds of the Habitat Conservation Area (2010-2014)" by Jared Clarke and Mattew Tokaruk.
* "Birds: Frequency of Next Visits by Non-Resident Hatch-Year Tree Swallows" by Russell D. Dawson.
New PHR Magazines for the week of December 28, 2015
Relatively Speaking: The Alberta Genealogical Society Quarterly Journal Volume 43, Number 4, November 2015
* "Sowing Winter Wheat: Introducing genealogy and family history to children and youth" by John Althouse.
* "Family Adhesive: The value of family history for children" by Janet Hovorka.
* "The Search for Captain Roy Brown" by John J.N.Chalmers.
* * *
Saskatchewan Genealogical Society Bulletin Volume 46, Number 3, December 2015
* "Researching Your Ancestors in England and Wales in the Digital Age: Civil Registration" by Rae W. Chamberlain. (the second in a series)
* "Provincial Archives Celebrates 70 Years"
* * *
NGS Magazine for Generations Past, Present, and Future), Volume 41, Number 4, October-December 2015
Special Issue: Genealogy & Writing
* "Utilizing Outlining for Strong Genealogical Writing" by Paul Graham AG CG.
* "Genealogical Numbering Systems: History and Reasoning" by Melinde Lutz Byrne, FASG.
* "Building Citations While Writing" by Michael Hait, CG.
* "Scrivener: An Organizational Tool for Genealogical Writers" by Mellisa A. Johnson, CG.
* * *
New Magazines for the week of November 23
Your Genealogy Today (formerly Family Chronicle Magazine) Nov/Dec 2015, Vol. 1, No. 5
* "Genealogical Tourism in Calabria: Going Back in Time"Joe Grandinetti recounts his first trip back to his Italian ancestral homeland and the discoveries he made
* "Genealogy and the Law" Judy G. Russell looks at the differences between civil law and common law
* "Who Was Alfred Betts" Richard H. Goms Jr. searches for clues to help solve a mystery involving a mid-19th century ancestor and a strange agreement between neighbors
* "DNA & Genealogy" DNA Matches: Diahan Southard offers 3 tips to improve your relationships
* "Cholera in Wisconsin, 1849-1851" Based on an original manuscript by Virginia M. Johnson Wilcx, and edited and re-written by Jean M. Wilcox Hibben
* "Don't Give Up on Ghosts" Sue Lisk offers five ways to bring your family history writing to life
* "Reconstruction World War II Service for the US Navy and the US coast Guard" All the records burned? Are you sure? Jennifer Holik explains how to navigate and piece together World War II Navy and coast Guard Service
* "Advice from the Pros" Jana Sloan Broglin looks at two major formats for publishing your family history
* "Real Photo Postcards: 'Selfies' of Another Era" George Matheson examines an early form of the 'Selfie', popular long before the advent of the Intrenet and social networking
* "Genealogy Tourism" Genealogy in the sunshine: British genealogy in Portugal
* * *
Families: Ontario Genealogical Society, November 2015, Volume 54, Number 4
* "The Disguised Origin of George R. Young" by Stephen Young
* "Finding André in Ontario & Quebec" by Steve Marshall
* "Simcoe County's House of Industry and Refuge" by Nancy Leveque
* "The 400 Year Odyssey of a Suffolk Bible" by Ralph W. Manning
* "Fabric Dyeing and Pioneer Dyestuffs of Necessity" by George A. Neville
* "How Do You Prove an Official Document Wrong"" by Fraser Dunford
* "The Forgotten History of the Chinese in Canada" by Gin
Note: issue contains the newsletter NewsLeaf The Ontario Genealogical Society, Vol. 45, No. 4 Supplement to Families 2015 Nov.
* * *
Alberta History, Autumn 2015, Volume 63, Number 4
* "The World of Joshua Pilcher: An American Fur Trader in Jasper" by Daniel Kyba
* "The Hutterites Come to Alberta" by Simon M Evans & Peter Peller
* "Among the Foothills and Rockies in 1885" by Arthur P. Coleman
Note: issue contains the newsletter of the Historical Society of Alberta History Now, No. 4, October 2015
New PHR Magazines for the week of November 2, 2015
Family Tree Magazine
"Making Matches" by Diahan Douthard.
"More Than Meets the Eye" by Kerry Scott.
"Analyze This!" by Michael Hait.
"Welcome to Welsh Roots" by Rick Crume.
* * *
National Genealogical Society Quarterly
"No Name, No Number: George Holms's Orphans of Washington and Jefferson Counties, Georgia" by Sara Anne Scribner, CG
"James Wesley Mooney of Will county, Illinois: Business Records Reveal His New York Family" by Sue Hahney Kratsch
"One George Deane or More? Determining an Identity Spanning Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri, but not Wisconsin" by Darcie Hind Posz, CG
"Associations Re-establish Family Links: The Youngs' Serial Migration from Virginia through Kentucky and Missouri to California" by Shirley Langdon Wilcox, CG
New PHR Magazine for the week of October 5, 2015
Folklore, Summer 2015, Vol. 36, Number 3
* "The Jewish Colonies of Saskatchewan" by Joyce Becker Lee.
* "Mission Lake Boyhood" by Bill Temple.
* "100 Years Later Farmers Still Use Sintaluta Legacy" by Laura Larson.
* "A Basket of Blueberries" by Lois Borland Lee.
New PHR Magazines for the week of September 8
Relatively Speaking: The Alberta Genealogical Society Quarterly Journal Volume 43, Number 3, August 2015
* "Step Away from the Computer: Using archives, academic libraries and museums for your research" by Gena Philibret-Ortega.
* "Being a Child Wasn't All Fun and Games" by Belinda Crowson.
* "The Forgotten History of the Chinese in Canada" by Ging Wei Wong.
* * *
Saskatchewan Genealogical Society Bulletin Volume 46, Number 2, August 2015
* "Researching Your Ancestors in England and Wales in the Digital Age" by Rae W. Chamberlain.
* "Early English Manor Rolls Go Online" by Mary Person information taken from the Harvard Law School Blog.
* "Serious Therapy" by Tammy Tipler-Priolo.
* * *
Your Genealogy Today (formerly Family Chronicle Magazine), September/October 2015, Volume 1, Number 4
* "Between the Headlines: Sensational Snippets and Scoops (Tips for Newspaper Research)" by Sue Lisk.
* "Dissecting Death Notices for New Clues" by George G. Morgan.
* "Interviewing the Elderly" by Brenda Ervin.
* "Native American Research: Breaking Down Brick Walls" by Stuart Doyle.
* "Reconstructing World War II Service Records" by Jennifer Holik.
* * *
NGS Magazine for Generations Past, Present, and Future), Volume 41, Number 3, July-September 2015
* "Biblical breakthrough! How I came to love the NGS online Bible collection" by Diane Florence Gravel.
* "Why would mom keep that cracked tea cup?" by Jennifer M. Alford.
* "Going underground: Mining industry records" by Jen Baldwin.
* "Introduction to research in Latin America" by Debbie Gurtler.
* "Pension Payment Cards, 1907-1933".
* "Why is my cousin not on my DNA match list?" by Debbie Parker Wayne.
* * *
Saskatchewan History), Volume 67, Number 1, Spring/Summer 2015
* "'Old Sol's Glory Path' - A Life of Photographer Peter McKenzie" by Brock Silversides.
* "Our Lady of Lourdes Cemetery: An Archaeological Approach to Cemetery Management" by Mike A. Markowski, Kara Wolfe, and Troy Zimmer.
* "Centre of Conflict: Mistrust and Turmoil in Creating the Diefenbaker Canada Centre" by Craig Greenham.
* "A.W.Davey: Artist and Visual Historian" by Verna Gallén.
New PHR Magazines for the week of August 17, 2015
* "Sweet 16" by David A. Fryxell. Discover the 101 genealogy websites that take the cake in 2015. pg. 16-
* "French Connections" by Kimberly Powell. From the vineyards of Burgundy to the lights of Paris, say "bonjour" to your roots. pg. 26-
* "Workbook: Naturalization Records" by Lisa A. Alzo. pg. 33-
* "Break It Down" by Dana McCullough. Going around in circles after ancestors on the free FamilySearch.org? Let's break down the site's search form and filter options... pg. 42-
* "DIY Your Family History Book" by Maureen A. Taylor. pg. 46-
* "Modern Families" by Lisa A. Alzo. Unsure how to include an open adoption, surrogate child or same-sex marriage in your software or online tree? Our guide to charting today's families... pg. 52-
* * *
Manitoba History, The Journal of the Manitoba Historical Society No. 78, Summer 2015
* "Pioneers on the Forest Fringe: The Wood Economy of the Red River Settlement, 1812-1883" by Thomas Shay. pg. 2-
* "William James Sisler, A Most Unconventional, Conventional Man" by James Mochoruk. pg. 13-
* "A Cup of Cold Water: Alfred Kirkness and the Brandon Residential School Cemeteries" by Anne Lindsay, Clare Cook, and David Cuthbert. pg. 29-
* Edward Worrell Jarvis in Western Canada" by Sam McBride. pg. 39-
* "The Postage Stamp Province" by Gordon Goldsborough. pg. 43-
Note: Issue also contains the Summer 2015 edition of the MHS Gazette.
This blog will inform you about the new items added to our collection; recommend some of the best online genealogy resources for you to use; and notify you of any upcoming genealogy and heritage-related workshops and events in the Regina community or around province. So remember to bookmark this page or subscribe to one of the RSS feeds so can you always remain up-to-date. And don't forget, we love to hear what you think so don't be shy about leaving your comments!Get XML feeds whenever this blog is updated!
What are XML feeds?