Preserve and share your memories. RPL now offers a Digitization Station for public use, free!
Our Digitization Station can help you convert VHS tapes, film, negatives, slides, photos, documents, etc. into digital formats that you can view on most modern day devices - such as smartphones, tablets, computers, smart TVs, DVD/Bluray players and more. Don't let your memories fade to dust, digitize them and preserve your personal history for future generations to enjoy!
Book yourself in now!
The Digitization Station is bookable in 4 hour blocks during hours of operation for the downtown Central Library location and can be found just outside the Prairie History Room on the main floor.
When you arrive for your booking a library staff member will be available to walk you through a brief orientation of the digitization station equipment and show you where you can access additional support material to guide you through the basic functions of converting VHS tapes, photos, slides and negatives to digital format.
- This is a self-serve workstation and library staff are not trained to provide technical support.
- Technical support content is provided on the workstation desktop to assist users with basic functionality (e.g., how to videos, manuals, etc.). Basic computer skills are required.
- The library is not responsible for any damage patrons may incur to their personal property when using this workstation.
- You must supply your own file storage media (e.g., CD/DVD, USB Drive, cloud drive account for upload via internet, etc.) to save your digitized files to. The digitization station will be wiped of all data and user activity once your session is over.
- Make sure to save your files to personal storage before your session timer runs out. A timer will display at bottom right corner of screen, and when it hits zero your session will end and all of your work will be wiped clean for the next user. Saving files to external devices may take longer than you think, so make sure you leave yourself enough time to transfer all of your files before your session ends.
Service features and expectations
Here's a bit more information on the digitization services available on this workstation:
» Photo Scanning - Digitize your personal photography collections with a one-click friendly flatbed scanner. Save photos in a digital format for photo preservation and enhanced digital viewing experiences (e.g., TVs, digital photo frames, tablets, computers, smartphones, etc.).
» VHS Tape to DVD - One Click conversion from VHS tape to DVD format (playable in DVD/Blu-ray players). This process converts content in real time. One hour of tape will take one hour to convert over to DVD format.
» VHS Tape to Digital Media File Format (e.g. AVI, MKV, MPEG, etc.) - Convert VHS tape to commonly used digital media formats playable on computers, tablets, smartphones and other digital media players.
» Film & negatives (still and motion) - Preserve legacy film productions as digital stills and take advantage of modern image players (e.g. photo frames, computer slideshows, etc.) to enjoy and share your memories with friends and family.
» Data File Storage - Access digital files stored on media drive formats that are no longer commonplace on newly purchased computers and media players (i.e. many new device rely on USB peripherals and wireless streaming to consume media content and do not include built-in disc drives). This workstations provides the following disc drives functions:
- 3.5 floppy disc (read/write)
- CD/ DVD drive (read/write)
- Blu-ray drive (read only)
Need more help?
Call or email us and we would be happy to assist you.
Want to help us improve this service?
Fill out this comment form and help shape the advancement of this workstation.