Prairie History Room

Prairie History Blog

Frequently Asked Questions

Research Guides

Web Links

Research Guides



Prairie History Blog

RPL Flickr page
A History of Regina in Photographs





Blessed Sacrament Church

The Oblate Fathers built this church in 1905 and called it St. Mary's. The name was changed to Blessed Sacrament in 1934. This church at 2049 Scarth Street is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in Regina and the second oldest church in the city still in use (St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral was built in 1894).


Source:
Archdiocese of Regina, a History. Regina: Archdiocese of Regina, 1988.



First Baptist Church

The Baptist Church in Regina was organized in 1891 and initially held services in the old Town Hall. The site of their first Church building was on Cornwall Street between 11th and 12th Avenues.

The sod was turned for First Baptist Church, on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Lorne Street in the spring of 1911. A year later the new organ with gold pipes was heard for the first time and the church became known for its massive domed ceiling and chandelier. The 1912 tornado extensively damaged the church but repairs were quickly completed.

A major restoration project in the early 1990's renewed the church's beauty including the removal and re-leading of 60 stained glass windows.

First Baptist Church was designated as a Municipal Heritage Property in 1992.


Sources:
Regina Leader Post, November 9, 1959, April 30, 1992.



Holy Rosary Cathedral

Most Rev. Olivier Mathieu was installed as the first bishop of the Catholic community in Regina in 1911. On the first day of June 1912, one month before the Regina Cyclone, Bishop Mathieu turned the sod for the new cathedral. Fortunately this area was left relatively intact after the cyclone. Holy Rosary was built for $135,000 in the Romanesque style designed by J.E. Fortin of Montreal. At the time of construction, the 235-foot twin steeples were the highest points in the city. Originally they were topped with metal roosters that served as weather vanes.

The Cassavant pipe organ was installed in 1930. In 1949, parishioners donated thirty-three stained-glass windows. The windows were created and installed by Andre Rault of France.

Holy Rosary School had its humble beginning in the basement of the cathedral in 1913. The following year, a four-room school was built on the same block as the cathedral. Sister Mary St. Germaine became the first principal.


Sources:
Holy Rosary Cathedral. Regina: Holy Rosary Cathedral, 1985.
Argan, William P. Regina, the First 100 Years. Regina: Leader Post Carrier Foundation, 2002.



Holy Trinity Anglican Church

The oldest building left standing in what is now the province of Saskatchewan is Holy Trinity Anglican Church at Stanley Mission. The site, overlooking the Churchill (English) River, was chosen by Reverend Robert Hunt and after six years of hard work by the local people, the church was completed in 1860. Stanley Mission was established in 1851 and is situated 150 air miles north of Prince Albert, accessible only by boat or float plane.


Source:
Korvemaker, E. Frank. Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Stanley Mission. Regina: Saskatchewan Culture and Youth, 1982.



Knox Metropolitan Church

The original Knox Church was constructed in 1885 at Scarth Street and 11th Avenue. The Presbyterian congregation sold the site to the Dominion Government for their new post office and erected a new Knox Presbyterian Church at 12th Avenue and Lorne Street in 1905. Knox Church and the Metropolitan Methodist Church, at the opposite end of Victoria Park, were both severely damaged in the 1912 tornado but both rebuilt immediately. In 1925 the United Church of Canada was formed and both Knox and Metropolitan became United Churches. In 1951 these congregations merged to form Knox-Metropolitan United Church and moved into the Metropolitan building at Victoria Avenue and Lorne Street.

In 1927 Frank N. Darke donated the Darke Memorial Chimes to the Metropolitan Church. The twelve hand-rung bells were cast in London, England by the firm that made the bells for Westminster Abbey. They can still be heard in downtown Regina every Sunday morning and on other special occasions.


Source:
Hayden, Dorothy. Let the Bells Ring. Regina: 100th Anniversary Committee, Knox-Metropolitan United Church, 1981.



St. Mary's Church

The first St. Mary's Church was built in 1884 and was Regina's first Catholic church. The body of Louis Riel was hidden under the floor of this church for three weeks after his execution until it could be transported to St. Boniface, Manitoba for burial in January 1886. This building at Cornwall Street and 12th Avenue was demolished in 1913.


Sources:
Regina's Heritage Tours. Regina: City of Regina, 1985.
Archdiocese of Regina, a History. Regina: Archdiocese of Regina, 1988.
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church. Regina: St. Mary's Centennial Committee, 1983.



St. Nicholas Romanian Orthodox Church

Founded in 1902, St. Nicholas Roumanian Orthodox Church is the oldest Roumanian Orthodox congregation in North America. The first priest sent out by the Metropolitan of Moldova was Archimandrite Evghenie Ungurianu who led the construction of the new church. It is located at 1770 St. John Street in Regina.


Sources:
Saskatchewan History, Spring 1961.
Riddell, W.A. Regina from Pile O'Bones to Queen City of the Plains. Burlington: Windsor Publications, 1981.



St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Anglican missionary work by students of the ministry in Winnipeg began on a regular basis in Regina soon after the arrival of the railroad. The first resident Anglican priest was Reverend Alfred Osborne. He became the first rector of St. Paul's Parish on December 13, 1882. A modest frame building was completed in the spring of 1883 on the corner of McIntyre Street and 12th Avenue. Eleven years later in 1894 the cornerstone of the present St. Paul's was laid on the same site. This gothic church was elevated to cathedral status in 1973.


Source:
Regina Leader Post, August 1, 1970.
Historic Architecture of Saskatchewan. Regina: Focus Publishing, Saskatchewan Association of Architects, 1986.




| Text-only version