Show Us What You've Got - again!
An Epic Book Trailer Contest
What’s a Book Trailer?
It’s like a movie trailer - for your favourite book!
Of course, since movie trailers use actual footage from the film, and books don’t have footage, you’ll have to create the visual content yourself.
Your trailer should show us why everyone should read this book. That may mean acting out a scene or scenes, showing who the characters are, or just explaining the plot. .
Who can enter?
Saskatchewan residents between the ages of 12 and 18.
Why should I enter?
- It’s a fun way to share the books you love with other people.
- To show Saskatoon that Regina is on the cutting edge when it comes to creativity.
- Oh, and did we mention prizes? Because: PRIZES!
The creators of the Top 5 RPL Book Trailers will receive:
- 1st Prize: $200 Cornwall Centre Gift Card
- 2nd Prize: $100 Cornwall Centre Gift Card
- 3rd Prize: $50 Cornwall Centre Gift Card
- 1st Runner-up: $25 Cornwall Centre Gift Card
- 2nd Runner-up: $25 Cornwall Centre Gift Card
There will also be a public screening/awards ceremony at the RPL Film Theatre on Monday, April 13 at 7:00 pm.
How do I enter?
- Create a video trailer for one of your favourite books.
- Make sure it follows the rules and the regulations (watch out for rule #3)
- Email email@example.com with a link to your video, or send it in as an attachment, along with:
- Your real name, age, email address and phone number
- Please copy & paste the following text into your email. Entries without this text will not be accepted:
I hereby certify that this submission to the Regina Public Library (RPL)/Saskatoon Public Library (SPL) Show Us What You’ve Got Book Trailer Competition is original and all my own work. I give RPL/SPL the right to publish this submission on the RPL and SPL websites and social media channels, and in future promotional materials. I have permission from all people appearing in submitted videos to share these videos on the RPL/SPL websites and social media channels.
Entries will be accepted from Sunday, March 1 until 12:01 am on Wednesday, April 1.
What happens after I submit my entry?
- We’ll review your video to ensure it follows all the rules.
- At the end of March, our judges will view all submitted book trailers and select the top five entries.
- The winners will be invited to a public screening/awards ceremony on April 13th.
- Obviously, the winners will get their prizes too!
What are the judges looking for?
- Creativity! Teens that put it together themselves tend to score higher than teens who simply insert images and text into an existing template or program.
- Visuals: does it look original and memorable?
- Use of titles: are they interesting, dramatic?
- Editing: how smooth are transitions between scenes?
- Pace: does it hold our interest throughout?
- Sound and music: did you make good use of these effects?
- Dramatic quality: good acting, does it hold our attention?
And most importantly:
- Does this trailer make us want to read the book?
I have an idea, but I’m not sure where to start!
Book Trailers for Readers is a great resource on how to make a book trailer.
- Click here to see examples of book trailers made by kids and teens.
- Click here for tips on how to create your own book trailer.