Regina Public Library invites applications from Canadian creative writers for the position of Writer in Residence.
For more information on how to apply, please see the Call for Applications.
The RPL Writer in Residence program provides opportunities for members of the community to receive guidance and advice from an established Canadian writer, while enabling the writer to devote time to a specific writing project.
Beginning in late August and ending in May, the Writer in Residence is available for consultations with individuals requiring assistance on personal writing projects, and will plan public readings, literary activities, and programs that will focus on serving and supporting the amateur writing community in Regina.
The intent of the program is to:
The Writer in Residence will have approximately 60 per cent of his/her time to devote to his/her writing. The remaining 40 per cent is allocated to meet the public requirements of the position, which are:
In addition, the Writer-in-Residence may receive outside requests to do a number of other readings, workshops, school visits, conference appearances, etc., within Regina. The writer is free to organize and take part in these events at his/her discretion. However, the arrangements for remuneration (Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild or other sources) are to be made independently by the writer.
Aspiring writers in Regina can receive guidance and advice from an established Canadian writer, thus providing an enriching learning opportunity for the Regina community.
The successful candidate will be able to devote up to 60 per cent of his/her time to specific writing projects, allowing him/her to contribute to Saskatchewan and Canada’s literary growth.
The program is an investment in the community at large, and will provide many benefits and networking opportunities to business, community organizations, schools and citizens of Regina.
The Regina Public Library Writer-in-Residence Program has provided a vital service to the local community in the past. Through innovative programming and promotion, audience reach has extended to the general public and continues to generate new interest in the art of writing. Regina citizens have come to value the Writer-in-Residence as a source for their writing information.