Eight tips to submit a manuscript
- Edit your manuscript before submitting it to a publisher; preferably hire a qualified editor.
- Check your local library or bookstore for books similar to the one you’ve written and note the publishers of those books.
- Review each publisher’s website. Make sure your work fits and they are accepting submissions.
- Read the submission guidelines for the publisher you have chosen.
- Format your manuscript following industry standards and any special requests in the submission guidelines of the publisher.
- Write your one-page query letter succinctly, following standard guidelines.
- Enclose the summary or sample chapters or pieces as requested in the publisher’s submission guidelines.
- Reminder: Edit your manuscript thoroughly before submitting to a publisher!
Information on industry standard manuscript formatting and query letters is available on the internet or contact the Writer-In-Residence at: firstname.lastname@example.org