Battle summer slide!
Spend your summer reading, learning and exploring with RPL's Level Up! program.
Kids 12 and under can enter to win prizes by recording the amount of time spent reading and participating in discover activities.
From June 1 to August 31, 2020 log in to our online tracker!
READ – whatever you like!
- Comic Books
- Read aloud to someone else
- Have someone read to you
EXPLORE – something new!
Participate in these discover activities:
- Attend fun online programs with Regina Public Library
- Use the online Dunlop Art Passport workbook to discover works of art at Regina Public Library
- Visit online educational sites for museums, art galleries, science centres and nature centres
- Explore nature in your backyard and neighborhood
LEARN – effortlessly!
Learning happens any time we activate our minds, bodies or imaginations. Prevent summer slide by engaging in fun activities, and enter to win prizes along the way!
What is summer slide?
Without practice, reading skills decline.
Kids often return to school in the fall with a dramatic drop in reading and academic abilities, called summer slide. It happens when kids don’t participate in activities that encourage learning over the summer months.
Kids have been out of school for much longer than usual this year, so it could be a more serious concern than usual.
How can we prevent summer slide? Have fun while learning! Time spent reading, exploring, and discovery helps turn on thinking skills without feeling like homework. What motivates kids to want to learn every day? Choice! That’s why Level Up! has so many ways to participate.
Win fabulous Level Up! prize packages. The more you read, explore and discover, the more chances you have to win.
Prize draws are for:
- Level 2: $50 bookstore e-gift cards
- Level 4: Personalized prize packages from Zippity Zoom Toys or ComicReaders
- Level 5 Grand Prize: iPad mini
Register and log time with our online tracker. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!
or download the free Beanstack app to your device.
Note: the tracker asks for reading hours, but don’t stop there! Log all the minutes you spend in Level Up! activities:
- Attending online RPL programs via Zoom
- Discovering the world through educational sites listed on this page and that you find on your own
- Exploring nature in your backyard and neighbourhood
- Reading – anywhere and anything!
Download this print-friendly paper tracker if you want to colour in your progress before you log it online.
Log minutes you spend reading anything you like.
Remember: if one kid reads aloud to another, you can both log those minutes!
Read or listen to fantastic stories using Regina Public Library’s online resources with your library card.
Not sure what to read next? Click here to try Books4Me!
Just answer a few quick questions about your reading preferences, and an RPL librarian will create a personalized book list for you.
Take part in RPL’s fun online programs just for kids!
Click here to check them all out.
Take a virtual tour of a museum, art gallery or science centre. Here are some examples of engaging sites for you to visit. Log minutes you spend on your virtual field trips!
The Benaki Museum
The Frick Collection
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Museum of the World
National Gallery of Art
National Museum of Natural History
RCMP Heritage Centre
Royal Saskatchewan Museum
Saskatchewan Science Centre
Explore nature in your backyard and neighborhood. Here are some resources to inspire you! Log minutes you spend researching online and out in nature.
Canadian Museum of Nature
Nature Conservancy Canada
Saskatchewan Burrowing Owl Interpretive Centre
Saskatchewan Bird Checklist
Discover even more fun reading and learning activities with the TD Summer Reading Club!
Click here to dive in.
- Level-Up! at Regina Public Library is open to all residents of the City of Regina, 12 years and under.
- Each entrant will be required to provide Regina Public Library with their name, phone number, email address and library card number.
- Level-Up! runs June 1 to August 31, 2020.
- Limit of one prize per person.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded.
- The prize will be forfeited and RPL will draw another winner if the selected entrant:
- Declines the prize
- Fails to pick up the prize within 30 days
- Entering the challenge signifies your acceptance of these rules.
- Each participant will register with RPL’s online tracker service, Beanstack. If participants do not have internet access, they may call the RPL hotline at 306.777.6000 to register and log time.
- The online tracker asks for reading hours, but don’t stop there! Log all the time you spend in Level Up! activities. Eligible activities include:
- attending online RPL programs,
- all resources listed on this page,
- other online resources for museums, art galleries or science centres,
- exploring nature,
- reading of any material in any format; silently, out loud, or being read to.
- Logged time accumulates to milestones that are awarded virtual badges and ballots into the prize draws. Designated milestones are:
- Level 1 – 4 hours: Virtual Badge
- Level 2 – 8 hours: Virtual Badge and name entered into Level 2 Prize Package Draws
- Level 3 – 12 hours: Virtual Badge
- Level 4 – 16 hours: Virtual Badge and name entered into Level 4 Prize Package Draws
- Level 5 – 20 hours: Virtual Badge and name entered into Level 5 Grand Prize Package Draws
- After Level 5, every additional 4 hour increments allows the participant an additional entry into the Grand Prize Package Draws.
All participants will be emailed with a request to fill out an online survey about Level Up! Please look for it in your inbox upon program completion.